Quarterly Newsletter - District 3 - January 2019
District 3 Winter Newsletter
Dear District 3 Private Applicators,
Happy New Year!
Private applicators in District 3 are in the fourth year of the private applicator recertification cycle. This means you have until 12/31/2020 to obtain six recertification credits. You can also choose to take a closed-book exam at your local MSU Extension office in the last year of your recertification cycle (January-December 2020). You can look up your current credits online by entering your last name or license number. For more information on PAT and credit requirements please visit our Private Applicator Training Program webpage or contact your County Extension office.
Paraquat Mitigation Measures
The EPA has approved several paraquat mitigation measures due to increased human health concerns. The measures include: mandatory paraquat training for applicators, changes to the label emphasizing safety, moving to closed-system packaging, and restricting use to only certified applicators. New product label requirements will be required when purchasing products with the new product label. Containers with the new label language requiring use by only certified applicators and paraquat trainings are expected to be distributed some time during the 2019 field season while close container systems will be phased in likely after September 2020. It is important for applicators to read and follow the product label. For more information please read our article titled Paraquat Mitigation Measures Approved by EPA.
Upcoming Events in Private Applicator District 3 (Northcentral Montana)
The following list of private applicator events are hosted by various organizations in your district. Please use the provided contact information for each event to register and obtain more information. This list is not comprehensive and only represents a few currently approved courses. Courses are added as they are sent to the MDA for approval. Use the MDA Course Locator to search for more events.
- 1/22/2019, Great Falls, 2019 Convention, 406-781-6461 (1 credit)
- 1/24/2019, Havre, Winter Beef Symposium, 406-357-3200 (1 credit)
- 1/26/2019, Shelby, Montana Next Generation Conference, 406-209-2953 (1-6 credits)
- 2/7/2019, Conrad, Master Farmer - IPM, 406-271-4053 (1-6 credits)
- 2/14/2019, Conrad, Master Farmer - Scouting/Weeds, 406-271-4051 (1 credit)
- 2/19/2019, Conrad, Golden Triangle Herbicide Resistance Meeting, 406-271-4053 (6 credits)
- 2/19/2019, Fort Benton, Golden Triangle Herbicide Resistance Meeting, 406-622-3751 (6 credits)
- 2/21/2019, Conrad, Master Farmer - Diversification, 406-271-4053 (6 credits)
- 2/28/2019, Fort Benton, 2019 Taylor Aviation Growers Meeting, 406-622-5682 (6 credits)
- 4/17/2019, Conrad, Initial Private Applicator Training, 406-994-5178 (6 credits)
- 4/18/2019, Harlemn, Initial Private Applicator Training, 40-994-5178 (6 credits)
Recent Publications and News Updates
Meet Your Extension Specialist: Tim Seipel, Extension Cropland Weed Specialist
As the Cropland Weed Extension Specialist, Tim collaborates with agricultural stakeholders to develop and deliver research-based information on weed ecology and management.
Phone: (406) 994-4783
For more information on Tim read the “Meet Your Specialist” article in the 2018 Fall IPM Bulletin.