Pesticide News - November 12, 2020
Last Chance Private Applicator Credit Opportunities Offered in North-Central Montana
Cecil Tharp, MSU Pesticide Education Specialist
Montana private applicators in private applicator training (PAT) District 3 need six private applicator credits prior to the January 1st, 2021 deadline to avoid losing their private applicator pesticide certification. This includes private applicators in Glacier, Toole, Liberty, Hill, Blaine, Pondera, Teton, Chouteau and Cascade counties (Fig. 1). Applicators can view their credit information at https://mtplants.mt.gov/ by selecting ‘pesticide programs’ and ‘pesticide license search’ prior to entering their pesticide license number. The Montana State University Pesticide Education Program (PEP) would like to announce multiple last chance private applicator credit opportunities for applicators in need of credits within PAT District 3. Online or on-site trainings are available within District 3.
Onsite Opportunities within Private Applicator District 3
- December 8th. Havre, MT. 9 AM – 12 PM. Various pesticide education topics. 3 private credits. 4-H Chuck-wagon, Hill County Fairgrounds. For more information contact Tom Allen at (406) 265-5481 ext 233 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- December 8th. Havre, MT. 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Pesticide Workshop. 3 private credits. 4-H Chuck-Wagon, Hill County Fairgrounds. Presentations include “Managing Leafy Spurge”, “Managing Alfalfa Weevil”, and “Understanding Drift and Mitigation Strategies”. For more information contact Tom Allen at (406) 265-5481 ext 233 or email at email@example.com.
Webinar Opportunities from your Office or Home
Due to COVID-19 the Montana Department of Agriculture (MDA) and MSU PEP are offering numerous live webinars to individuals attending from home/office for pesticide credits. Attendance checks are required if attending for pesticide education credits.
- November 12th. 2:00 – 3:00 PM, MSU PEP, Pesticide Fate, 1 private credit. Registration & Details. Contact Amy Bowser for more information (406)994-5178; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- November 19th. 12:00 – 1:00 PM, MDA, Pesticide Safety, Register online. 1 private credit. Contact MDA for info.
- November 19th. 6:00 – 7:00 PM, MDA, Pesticide Safety, Register online. 1 private credit. Contact MDA for info.
- November 23rd. 6:00 – 7:00 PM. Indoor Vertebrate Pest Management. 1 private credit (pending). Stephen Vantassel (MDA Vertebrate Pest Specialist). Stephen will discuss how to manage mice and other vertebrate pests in the home environment to prevent property damage and spread of disease. You may register online or contact Adriane Good, MSU Pondera County Agriculture Extension Agent, (406) 271-4053, email@example.com.
- December 5th. 12:00 – 1:00 PM. Bee Health and Pollination Fruit-set Prediction for Apples. 1 private credit. You may register by contacting Sarah Eilers (406-994-5150; firstname.lastname@example.org).
- December 7th. 6:00 – 7:00 PM. Indoor Insect Pest Management with Laurie Kerzicnik. 1 private credit (pending). Laurie will discuss identifying and controlling spiders, wasps, and other insect pests in the home. You may register online or contact contact Adriane Good, MSU Pondera County Agriculture Extension Agent, (406) 271-4053, email@example.com.
- December 8th. 1:00 – 4:00 PM, Pesticide Workshop. MSU PEP. 3 private credits. Registration & Details. This includes presentations on alfalfa weevil management, leafy spurge and pesticide drift. Contact Amy Bowser for more details (406) 994-5178; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- December 10th. 2:00 – 3:00 PM, Why Isn’t My Pesticide Working? MSU PEP. 1 private credit. Registration, Details. Contact Amy Bowser for more information (406) 994-5178; email@example.com.
- December 10th. 1:00 – 4:00 PM. The Montana Rodent Academy Webinar. 1:00 – 4:00 PM. 3 private credits. This training will focus on the prevention and control of commensal rodents (house mice/deer mice) in homes and businesses. No cost. Register by contacting Stephen Vantassel (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call (406-538-3004) for more information.
Online courses consisting of modules and a corresponding quiz can be taken at any time from your office/home for credits. There are over 100 online courses available over a variety of pesticide education topics. They are located at https://www.pesticides.montana.edu/pat/mdacourselocator.html by following the instructions under ‘online programs’ and following the link provided.
End of Cycle Instructions
Each private applicator in District 3 should receive a MDA pesticide license renewal letter in November. Applicators not receiving renewal letters by December 1st, 2020 should contact their county extension office PAT coordinator or MDA licensing, Tari Nyland (Tari.Nyland@mt.gov; 406-444-4900). Applicators accumulating six or more private applicator credits should sign the renewal letter and send back to MDA with a $60 fee.
For More Information
Contact your county MSU Extension agent for more information regarding last chance programs in your area, or to assess your private applicator credits. To view future programs online navigate to https://mtplants.mt.gov/PesticideApplicator/MeetingSearch.aspx. For any other pesticide education question contact Cecil Tharp, Pesticide Education Specialist, at the MSU Pesticide Safety Education Program office (406-994-5067, email@example.com).