MSU Pesticide News - August 26th, 2014
2014 Pest Management Tour offers Credit Opportunities for Private, Commercial and Government Applicators across South-Western Montana
Cecil Tharp, MSU Pesticide Education Specialist
- Private Applicators
- Commercial / Government Applicators
- Tour Dates
- Further Information
- Private Applicator Training (PAT) Regions
The Montana State University Pesticide Education and Integrated Pest Management Programs are offering multiple 6 credit program opportunities for private applicators across south-western Montana (Private Applicator Region 2) from October 6th to 10th.
Figure 1. Map of Montana private pesticide applicator training regions (listed below).
Private applicators may opt to attend only a morning or afternoon session for 3 private applicator credits; or both for 6 credits. The 2014 Pest Management Tour (PMT) is designed to target regions in Montana that are in the final year of the private applicator recertification cycle. Private applicator licenses in region 2 will expire on January 1st, 2015. Private applicators within this region must attain 6 private applicator recertification credits to re-qualify into the next certification cycle. Region 2 PMT participants include Beaverhead, Powell, Madison, Park, Meagher, Broadwater, Silver Bow, Gallatin, and Granite counties. Credits accumulated by pesticide applicators can be viewed online.
Commercial / Government applicators may also attend. The Pest Management Tour will be offering 5 government / commercial recertification credits in the categories of Dealer, Demonstration & Research and Agricultural Plant Pest Control for attending both the morning and afternoon sessions.
This program will cover many subject areas of local interest including crop insect management, cropland weed management, rangeland weeds, pesticide performance, calibration, forage pest management, and storage and security of pesticides.
MSU representatives speaking at the tour include
- Dr. Fabian Menalled (MSU Cropland Weed Specialist)
- Dr. Jane Mangold (MSU Rangeland Weed Specialist)
- Dr. Emily Glunk (MSU Forage Specialist)
- Dr. Kevin Wanner (MSU Crop Insect Specialist)
- Cecil Tharp (MSU Pesticide Education Specialist)
The tour will cover 9 locations over 5 days:
- Granite County Museum, Contact Granite County Extension, Dan Lucas at (406) 859-3304
- Helmville Community Center, Contact Powell County Extension, Jodi Pauley at (406) 849-9791. Please pre-register. No fee. Free Lunch!
- Silver Bow Public Library, 226 West Broadway St., Contact Silver Bow County Extension, Kellee Anderson at (406) 723-0217. Please pre-register. $10 fee at door. Free Lunch!
- 4-H Building, Contact Beaverhead County Extension, JP Tanner at (406) 683-3785
- Whitehall Community Center, 10 N Division Street, Contact Pesticide Education Office, Cecil Tharp at (406) 994-5067.
- 4-H Building, Fairgrounds. Contact Broadwater County Extension, Virginia Knerr at (406) 266-9242. Please pre-register. $15 fee at door. Free Lunch!
- Belgrade City Hall, Court Rm,, 91 East Central. Contact Gallatin County Extension. Emily Lockard at (406) 388-3213. Please pre-register. Free Lunch!
- Elks Lodge, Basement, 130 S. 2nd Street. Contact Park County Extension. Tracey Mosley at (406) 222-4156
White Sulphur Springs, MT
- Fire Training Center. Contact Meagher County Extension. Nico Cantalupo at (406) 547-3042. Please pre-register. $10 fee at door. Free Lunch!
See the detailed program agenda online by selecting ‘2014 Pest Management Tour’. Contact your local Extension agent for more information regarding location, catering and pre-registration. For any other questions contact Cecil Tharp, Pesticide Education Specialist, at the MSU Pesticide Education Program office (406) 994-5067, firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 1 Counties
- Lincoln, Flathead, Sanders, Lake, Mineral, Missoula, Ravalli
Region 2 Counties
- Granite, Powell, Lewis and Clark, Broadwater, Meager, Deer Lodge, Silver Bow, Jefferson, Beaverhead, Madison, Gallatin, Park
Region 3 Counties
- Glacier, Toole, Liberty, Hill, Blaine, Pondera, Chouteau, Teton, Cacade
Region 4 Counties
- Phillips, Valley, Daniels, Sheridan, Roosevelt, Garfield, McCone, Richland, Dawson, Wibaux, Rosebud, Prairie, Treasure, Custer, Fallon, Carter, Custer, Powder River
Region 5 Counties
- Judith Basin, Fergus, Petroleum, Wheatland, Golden Valley, Musselshell, Sweet Grass, Stillwater, Yellowstone, Carbon, Big Horn